Atlanta’s vibrant cultural and arts community rings in the holiday season with a variety of performances and exhibitions for visitors and locals alike. From quirky interpretations of Christmas tales to unique presentations of the classics, Atlanta has opportunities to satisfy every holiday whim.
- The Santaland Diaries at Horizon Theatre: Horizon Theatre reprises its adults-only production by satirist David Sedaris. A hilarious exposé of all things elfin, local actor Harold M. Leaver plays the role of a writer turned Macy’s store elf, Crumpet. For the fifteenth year, the washed up elf takes audiences along for a hilarious look at “the secret lives” of Santa and his elves.
- Krampus Xmas: Krampus and Santa’s Excellent Adventure at 7 Stages: Krampus, the dark companion of St. Nicholas, leads this irreverent performance featuring the Little Five Points Rockstar Orchestra. In its fourth year, this show promises to be a wildly raucous and kid-free night out.
Classic Stories with a Twist:
- A Christmas Carol at The New American Shakespeare Tavern: A handful of Shakespeare Tavern actors bring the art of storytelling to life, transporting audiences to Scrooge’s counting house for a fateful night of ghostly encounters. This holiday performance, along with the tavern venue, envelopes guests in Dickens’ 1843 London and keeps the holiday cheer alive all evening long. After the performance, show-goers can join the cast and crew for an exclusive Q&A session.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at the Center for Puppetry Arts: Directed by the Center’s own Jon Ludwig, the production brings the beloved characters of the 1964 animated special to life on strings. The Center is also offering “behind-the-playboard” performances, giving patrons the chance to see the intricate world of puppets, props, scenery and puppeteers.
- Christmas at Callanwolde: Callanwolde Fine Arts Center is hosting 12 days of Christmas festivities featuring live entertainment, shopping, family activities, and seasonal workshops. Atlanta’s top interior and floral designers will dress Callanwolde in holiday finery. Special guest musicians von Grey, Ted Howe Trio, and trumpeter Joey Sommerville will perform on three separate evenings throughout the month of December.
- Mason Murer Fine Art Holiday Exhibition: The award-winning, 24,000-square-foot Mason Murer Fine Art Gallery offers a continually evolving selection of contemporary works by regional, national and international artists. While the Mason Murer’s Holiday Exhibition is free, donations are encouraged and will benefit the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
For many more ways to experience holiday cheer in Atlanta, visit Atlanta.net/holiday.